Friday, December 10, 2010

Learning a new language

Learning a new language!

For anyone who has or is trying to learn a new language you will understand what I am talking about. It is not easy! Especially, when you are an adult and are a little afraid to make a mistake. Being immersed is truly the best way to learn. The girls are continuing to pick up more Spanish and are definitely getting more comfortable with speaking. I am starting to wish that we had registered them in school when we arrived. They would have had 6 weeks of full immersion with the language and the opportunity to make more friends. School is now out for the 6 week break over the holiday’s, so we will just continue to home school and encourage the girls to make friends in the neighbourhood.

As for me I am learning it is okay to make a mistake. I tried to tell my niece that someone “plugged the toilet,” only to realize that they say “stuffed the toilet.” They plug something in to an outlet but they do not “plug a toilet.” Oh well! She got the point and soon realized what I was trying to say.

My mother-in-law just appreciates my attempt to try, so every day I challenge myself to speak a little more.

No comments: