Monday, February 5, 2007

Opportunity

Yesturday I had the opportunity to sit in a forum with 3 very interesting men. A Jewish Rabbi, an Islamic Imam, and a Christian pastor. Yes, you read it right. It was the most profound feeling to have a group of individuals who are painted in the media as hating each other sitting in the same room having a discussion. In the end, I came away with many more questions and a lot of realization that most of us want the same thing...to be good honorable people and to have peace in the world.

Why is this so difficult to do????? Why is religion at the foot of so much wrong? Why does the media play on the evil and steer this towards those who want peace. This only paints a bad picture of those who worship. There are many more who want peace than those who hide behind religion to prove a point.

I realized even more that we need to educate ourselves before we judge anyone. And it is important to not believe everything we hear on the news.

I know this topic often draws a lot of conversation/debate and I would be curious to hear what others think.

2 comments:

Mare said...

You are so openminded and I think that is what is so necessary when we view others. Instead of looking at the outside, we need to know the person within first. That is what makes our work so wonderful. We are truly meeting people from the inside out. Wouldn't the world be a wonderful place if people would all do the same. Instead of judging others because of their faith, ethnic background or appearance, we could meet the person inside and go from there. I agree that wouldn't be as newsworthy. In the meantime, I will continue to love what I do because of the beautiful people I meet everyday without seeing them first.

Mya & Ela said...

Thanks for your inspirational input.